Spirit of Halloween Window Painting Contest - Registration form (Please Print) Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018 9:00 a.m. 1:00 p.m. Team Name _______________________________________ Team member names ________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ Contact person for team ______________________________ Address ___________________________________________ Phone Number ____________________ Email _____________________________ (for communication only) Deadline Application must be received by Monday, October 1, 2018. Please keep the rules but only mail or deliver to the mail slot at the address below. Frenchtown Heritage Museum & Research Center 1121 N. Second St., St. Charles MO 63301 You will be contacted by phone or email regarding Window Assignments by Wednesday, October 3, 2018. To be completed by Board Member Window Number _______________________ Business Address ____________________________________________________
Halloween Window Painting - Rules and Regulations
Sponsored by the Frenchtown Heritage Museum and Research Center
1121 N. Second St., St. Charles MO 63301
I. Date & Time
- Teams may paint their windows on Saturday, October 6, 2018, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. All work must be finished by 1:00 p.m.
- Cancellation due to inclement weather will be announced on the Frenchtown Heritage Museum and Research Center’s Facebook page by Saturday, October 6th at 7:00 a.m.
II. Paints and Equipment
- Each team will supply their own paints and brushes. Only WATER-BASED TEMPERA PAINT will be permitted. Contestants may mix their own colors or use ready-mixed colors.
- NO felt-tip markers, crayons, china markers, wax-based markers, pencils, pens, or glitter will be permitted. NO solid black, navy blue, dark gray, or charcoal gray backgrounds will be permitted.
3. Suggested equipment:
- Newspapers for covering store fronts/brickwork/sidewalks/windowsills.
- Assorted colors of water-based tempera paint ONLY (poster paint will dry transparent);
- Bon Ami (or Ajax or Comet) to add consistency to paint and help it to adhere to window;
- Plastic cups for mixing paints;
- Assorted paintbrushes (ranging from narrow to two-inches wide);
- One large box for garbage, rags, paper, etc.;
- Low stepstool (NO ladders);
- Warm clothes, as needed; j. Large plastic bag to dispose of all waste;
- A covered coffee can or thermos filled with water for washing brushes;
- Rags or paper towels to wipe brushes and spills; and,
- Rocks or weights (to hold down papers on case of windy weather);
- A ruler or tape measure;
- Folding chair and blanket for parent/guardian;
- Camera, for that precious moment.
III. Painting Rules
- Painting must have a Halloween theme. Paintings will be judged by the general public, so spread the word to family and friends to come vote.
- Painting size should fit within the window assigned to your group, allowing a 3” border on all sides. Contestants are responsible for using masking tape to form a rectangle in these dimensions. All painting MUST be done within this rectangle.
- Prior to beginning painting, contestants MUST cover non-glass areas (such as brickwork, wood moldings, sills, and sidewalks) with newspapers and masking tape. Contestants may NOT paint on sidewalk, brickwork, or any areas other than the assigned window. Failure to obey this rule may result in disqualification.
- Contestants may NOT scratch paint off window in order to create a design. No other media, but tempura paint allowed on the windows.
- Contestants may seek advice or suggestions from any source or individual, but the actual work must be done by the team’s registered members only, or disqualification may occur. Children under the age of 16 yrs. must be supervised at all times by a parent or other adult.
- All contestants are responsible for cleaning the area around their windows and sidewalks and disposing of all trash when their painting is finished.
- Name(s) of team maybe painted in a 6” X 6” area within the allowed size of the painting.
- The paintings will be judged on Saturday, October 6th from 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. by the general public. Ballots may be picked up and turned in at the Frenchtown Heritage Museum and Research Center (1121 N. Second St., St. Charles MO). Ribbons will be posted on the winning windows after 7:00 p.m. the day of the judging and winners have been announced.
- Paintings must have a Halloween theme. Paintings will be judged on originality, humor, artistic merit and execution.
- Three (3) prizes–1st, 2nd and Judge’s choice will be awarded.
- Windows will be voted on by the Number (1, 2 ,3, etc.) on the window.
- Award Ceremony at 7:00 p.m. during the Witches and Warlocks Event at the Frenchtown Heritage Museum and Research Center, 1121 N. Second St., St. Charles MO.
V. Painting Pointers
- Sketch your painting ahead of time on a piece of paper.
- It is often easier to paint the background first and then paint the scene or characters over the background once it has dried.
- Mixing a few shakes of Bon Ami (or a similar product) into tempera paint improves its consistency and helps it adhere to the window. But don’t use a lot of Bon Ami; too much may cause paint to crack.